The National Institute of Fashion Designing (NIFT) conducts entrance exams each year for admission in its 16 campuses. All the campuses of NIFT release their cut-off list with maximum and minimum ranks to offer admission to students. Almost 23000-25000 students compete each year for 4517 seats of NIFT. To secure a seat in NIFT colleges, it is required to cross the cut-off marks, which is not easy. But with proper planning, it is not that hard.
With the help of super-fast technology, now, many people know about NIFT and cracking its entrance is the dream of many students. There are various NIFT coaching classes that guide students in cracking this exam. You can take online and offline NIFT coaching at your convenience. But understanding the competition level, it is important to know about the NIFT eligibility criteria, exam patterns, important dates and required skills to plan your exam preparation accordingly.
NIFT Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Criteria of NIFT tells students whether they are qualified enough to sit at the NIFT entrance exam or not. By knowing eligibility Criteria, aspirants can do a self-evaluation. Eligibility Criteria includes age limit, minimum qualification, and reservations.
Eligibility Criteria of Bachelor Programmes
- The Maximum Age Limit of the NIFT aspirants should be less than 24 years as of 1 August 2022.
- The maximum age limit relaxed for 5 years for the candidates of Scheduled Tribes/Scheduled and Persons with Disability.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Des ( Bachelor of Design)
The candidates aspiring to take admission in Bachelor of Design (Fashion Design/Leather Design Knitwear Design/Accessory Design/Textile Design/Fashion Communication) should have done any form mentioned below:
- Candidates should have passed The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination from the acknowledged Central/State Board of Secondary Examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination from London, Cambridge, or Sri-Lanka with A level (Advance)/ International Baccalaureate(IB).
- Or From Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or foreign countries authorized by the Association of Indian Universities, and it is equivalent to a 10+2 model with Physics and Mathematics.
- Students having pass marks in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with at least five subjects.
Note: Aspirants appearing for their Board examinations in 2022 can also apply for the NEET 2022. But the candidate needs to pass their board exam to fulfil the necessary eligibility conditions at the time of counseling/admission.
Eligibility Criteria for B.F.Tech
Candidates who wish to do bachelors in fashion technology must fulfil any of the following as minimum qualifications:
- Candidates should have passed The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination from acknowledged Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as the Central Board of Secondary Education/State Board New Delhi/Bihar/UP, and the Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination with Physics and Mathematics.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination from London, Cambridge, or Sri-Lanka with A level/IB level with Physics and Mathematics
- Or From Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or foreign countries authorized by the Association of Indian Universities, and it should be equivalent to 10+2 model with Physics and Mathematics.
- Students have passed marks in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with at least 5 subjects, including Physics and Mathematics.
- 3 or 4 years diploma in any branch of Engineering from recognized AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education
Note: Aspirants appearing for their Board examinations in 2022 can also apply for NEET 2022. But the candidate needs to pass their board exam to fulfil the necessary eligibility conditions at the time of counseling/admission.
Eligibility Criteria for Masters Programmes
There is no age limit for Master’s programmes.
Master in Design/ Master of Fashion Management
Candidates who want to do Masters in design/ Masters in Fashion Management must have completed any of the following:
- UG Degree in any discipline from any authorized College/Institute / University of India
- Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years from NIFT / NID.
Additionally, students wishing to do a Master of Design/Masters in Fashion Management must have a prior understanding of fundamentals in design. The candidates need to be familiar with the basic skills and theories of design.
Master of Fashion Technology
Candidates who want to do Masters of Fashion Technology must have completed any of the following
- B.F.Tech from NIFT
- BE/B.Tech from any recognized Institute / University of India
Reservations of seats
NIFT provides reservations to various categories in each programme are as under:
- 15% to Scheduled Castes
- 7.5% to Scheduled Tribes
- 27% to Other Backward Communities non-creamy layer
- 5% to PWD
- 10% to EWS
- 20% to State Domiciles
- 15% to Foreign Nationals/SAARC/NRIs/OCI
- 35% to Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh at Srinagar Campus
NIFT conducts entrance exams for various courses in different ways. These tests judge the candidates’ intuitive ability, power of observation in the concept of development and design ability.
- For BDes and MDes course admission, students must appear for NIFT GAT( General Ability Test) and NIFT CAT (Creative Ability Test).
- After clearing both exams, BDes aspirants need to come for a Situation test. NIFT entrance exam cell informs regarding this on the official website.
- MDes candidates need to appear for Group Discussion/Personal interviews.
- For admission in B.F.Tech/M.F.Tech/MFM, Candidates needs to appear for the GAT test
- For B.F.Tech, GAT is the final round
- Whereas for M.F.Tech/MFM, candidates are called for Group Discussion/Personal interviews.
- NIFT Online Registration Date: Started on 3 December 2021 and will Last on 17 January 2022. With a late fine of additional 5000 rupees, candidates can complete the registration by 22 January 2022. Till this date, candidates can also edit and update the application.
Note: For Foreign Nationals/SAARC/NRIs/OCI candidates, Online Registration for Admission will Last date on 30 April 2022
- NIFT Admit Card Date: Admit Card will appear online on 29 January.
- NIFT Entrance Exam 2022: 6 February 2022
- Result Date of NIFT Entrance Exam: Mid March 2022
- NIFT Situation Test/ Group Discussion/Interview : April 2022
- Declaration of Final Result: May 2022
- NIFT Counselling: May-June 2022 onwards
Skills Required For NIFT Aspirants
Creative Mind: Design Development asks for a creative mind that converts raw material into a beautiful piece of design. NIFT entrance exams search for this artistic talent from loads of crowds of aspirants. To be successful in the design profession, you need to freshen up your artistic eyes to make something unique and creative.
Excellent Drawing Skills: Designers need to convey their imagined design through sketches. They should have the ability to put down the design concepts on paper. It will help the teammates to understand the design idea. It is a crucial skill you should have to come in design.
Observational Eyes: Creativity itself requires observational eyes. It helps the designer see the world with an artistic perspective which helps in generating new ideas. It also helps the designer understand details of the design and make something unique, creative and useful for a small group or a large number of people as per the requirement or intent of the design.
Good Communication Skills: A designer needs to interact with many people for design explanation, collaboration with celebrities, brands, local designers, etc. Good communication skills do not only help designers in making the design but also selling them or starting their own design business. An aspirant must work on their communication skills.
Understanding of Texture/Colour/Design: Designing demands a good understanding of texture, colour and design. The aspirants should differentiate between different qualities of fabric/leather/canvas or the thing they are working with. Because these Differences also play a vital role in making the design stand out.
Do I need to join Coaching Class to Crack NIFT Entrance Exam?
Yes, because NIFT is a competitive exam. To have a fair idea about the competition level it is important to join NIFT coaching class. Here, you will get the opportunity to meet people with the same mindsets which will help you to figure out your strengths and weaknesses. You can freshen up your skill and will get expert guidance.
Which Coaching Class is Best for NIFT Exam Preparation?
There are many coaching classes where you can join for your NIFT exam preparation. DAD Think Labs is one of the best coaching classes for NIFT exam preparation. It’s where you will get the best guidance to improve your skills and concept of design. DAD Think Labs is a NIFT coaching class, which provides both online and offline classes that you can avail from any corner of India. You can search for the best NIFT coaching near me on google or any other search engine to know about the best coaching center in your city.
Summary: After understanding eligibility criteria, exam patterns, important dates and required skills, you must have a picture of all that NIFT demands. Also, you may have very little time left for NIFT preparation. Many NIFT Coaching classes offer short-time courses to help students in NIFT entrance exams.
DAD THINK LABS is considered one of the best NIFT online coaching that offers many short duration courses including 10 days, 15 days, 30 days, 45 days & 60 days along with solved important questions. It also takes aptitude tests, Studio tests, Interviews and helps in portfolio designing.